What’s this? This inspiration board is one of the ways I stay inspired and sane through all of life’s trials, and tribulations, work, etc. I’ve been making inspiration boards full of films, books, music, events, people, artists, movements, and more for over a decade. Do you have an inspiration board? Please share in the comments.
Whew this took a minute to do. Props to all the YouTubers, its hella work to make these videos. I wanted to make a video with some painting process and some information about #BlackIsBeautiful an art challenge you’re welcome to join me in. Why do an art challenge? To get better, to practice. Why this one? There are so many Black folks, movements, places. And I mean African Americans, Afro Latinx, Black folks in Europe, Caribbean folks, etc.
Music in the video by Allmos
Guidelines for the #BlackIsBeautiful challenge:
1. Depict an unsung Black person, place of significance to Black people, a Black lead movement, or a Black group. We hear a lot about the same folks year after year. Let’s expand that history and future. The depictions can be from the past or present.
2. Make it during the month of February.
3. Make 1-28 pieces. One a day, once a week, or just one for the month. It’s up to you.
4. Use the hashtag #BlackIsBeautiful and feel free to add on the year such as #BlackIsBeautiful2021 , etc.
5. Choose your medium. This is a visual art challenge. Watercolor, oil, collage, ink, photography, digital or traditional media are acceptable!
6. When you’ve finished post it online for others to see.
7. Add constraints to make the challenge more specific. Only use 3 colors, limit how many you make, the size of the pieces, the theme or subject matter, etc. Get creative!
Bonus: Give us a little background on who or what you choose
Here are some example of pieces Ive created over the years:
If you’re an artist who painted a mural or wall in downtown Oakland or the Fruitvale district and want to help facilitate yours and others being preserved please read this flyer and contact the “Black Cultural Zone” at email@example.com
There have been multiple groups of folks working behind the scene to help preserve these works of art but the BCZ is bringing folks together. Please share with friends if you know of someone who painted something as well.